Monday, February 21, 2005

RIP Hunter S Thompson



I woke up this morning to read that Hunter S Thompson had committed suicide. While he lived a long and wild life it's always sad to hear people end their lives prematurely. Especially when you consider that Hunter S Thompson was believe it or not, very inspirational. It was reading "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," that I was inspired to go to college and become a journalist. That was also the first book I ever read cover to cover without the usual assistance of Cliff Notes. He showed me that you can infiltrate the system, party continually, and be brilliant all the while. In fact, the last conference I went to, I went to the registration picked up my tote bag full of notes and ruminants of workshops, and I went back to the Inn by the Sea and partied for 3 straight days never once going back to the conference. True Fear and Loathing style, I came back with the story, "The conference was good but I was expecting a little more, I wish I brought some teachers with me, they would have benefited from the message." It's the quest for happiness through intoxication, it's the quest for the American dream, it takes it's toll in the most usual and tragic ways.

1 Comments:

Blogger Drug User said...

Thanks for letting me borrow Fear and Loathing back in high school. It was a great read and I agree Hunter became a prominent inspiration to most of us on the fringe. I'm trying to start posting again but we'll see. I do what I can.

As someone who doesn't believe in suicide but has thought about it in the past, I try to see the struggle of life in the context of The Four Noble Truths.

Definition: These encapsulate the essential teaching of Buddhism:
1. The Noble Truth of Suffering
2. The Noble Truth of the Origin of Suffering
3. The Noble Truth of the Extinction of Suffering
4. The Noble Truth that leads to the Extinction of Suffering.

If someone is trying to escape suffering Vipassana meditaion is a very powerful technique. Most people I know would not be able to withstand 10 days of silence and meditation but if you think it's your thing check this site out. Vipassana Meditation Website It's fucking intense but beautiful. Go on... tame the wild mind. I dare you!

Every day is different so just sit back and enjoy the ride.

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home