Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Struggle Continues

No matter how many times I fast or how many times I vow not to indulge in alcohol, I'm always looking for the excuse. It's a terrible feeling to be shackled to these compulsions. A couple weeks ago I had fasted for 5 days with no food and no juice - just teas and lemon water. The result was that I felt great! My only complaint was that at night my core body temperature felt like it dropped and I would spend a good hour shivering in bed, no matter how many blankets were on me. The reason I broke my fast was that my birthday weekend was coming up. My cousin and her boyfriend were coming up and they love to drink. I saw the weekend as an opportunity to eat mexican food and drink maragaritas - and man did I. By 2:30 PM on my b-day I was popping my second tylenol 3 with codeine and drinking my first beer - and it felt awesome! Fast forward to around 8:00 PM after several beverages. I'm in the restaraunt and we are waiting for a table. We sit at the bar and order a cadillac maragarita. If you have never had one I highly recommend trying one or two... The bartender puts this huge fishbowl size maragarita glass on the bar, puts a few cubes of ice in it and begins pouring, I would say, at least 4-5 shots worth of tequila into the glass. It was out of control. He tops it off with the concentrated mix and Grand Marneir (sp?). The drink is deceptive and tastes fantastic. Then I order a shot of tequlia and drink a shot with him. By this time I'm feeling bulletproof. We get a table, sit down and order. I order shrimp fajitas. As I eat them, my friend says, hey you know you're supposed to pull off the tails... I brush aside his comment because I've eaten them both ways. But I'm clearly becoming more drunk and don't give a shit. So I roll up my next fajita, take a bite and the shrimp tail becomes lodged in my throat. The little spikes firmly planted into the roof of my throat, moving nowhere. I try to get air as I just look across the table at my cousin and my friend with my eyes watering in physical struggle to breathe. They look at me in return and think I may be joking or something. It was one of those moments where I thought, okay I"m going to die on my b-day choking on a shrimp tail. It felt almost as bad as Elvis dying on the shitter. I begin moving my diaphragm back and for in a yogic move and managed to reguritate the tail. This is where I begin to black out and become an evil person. Evidently I told my friend across the table that he put a voo doo hex on me and wanted to see me choke to try and teach me a lesson. When we got home, I went straight to bed and was told I was talking on the phone. I don't remember to who... They tried to knock on my door and how to used the remote, I was a total asshole. So let this be a lesson to all. Remove your shimp tails before you eat them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home